Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hunkering Down

Huge snow storm on the way. 5-8 inches tonight and another 2-4 inches tomorrow. yikes. However, even though this sounds like a bad thing it is actually a very good thing. See this weekend Luke and I will be upgrading Dino's cage from a 36 to a 55 gallon. I'm sure she will be thrilled. Also hopefully we will be able to clean all the crestie tanks... so yes we will be trapped in the house, no we won't be bored.

Anywho, I'd like everyone to meet Dino (Die-no) my Blue Diamond Iguana



She is my favorite animal to bring to the shows the society does. The Herp Society has two large iguanas, one male and one female, that we are housing. We usually bring Dino and one of them to any of our shows. It is great for educational purposes, because when you go to buy an iguana you buy one Dino's size or smaller and don't expect to eventually have one the size of the other iguanas within a few years. Dino sits on my shoulder very patiently at the shows and I've never had her(?) jump off there. At home is a different story, she is always ready to jump about and explore. I think she knows that the house is a safe place and she can do such things. I say she(?) because I think she is old enough to sex now and after comparing images of male versus female pictures, I'm leaning toward Dino being female. The pores that allow for identification just don't look as big as they should be for a male. Dino is only about two feet long and I've had her for around a year now. What I really like about her is right after she sheds her head and shoulder area is a very pretty blue color. I highly recommend looking pictures up of them because my pictures do not do the color justice. I took them about a week or two before she shed. Dino gets feed every day some greens that we have in the house and once a week she gets a few calcium dusted crickets. She has a large, but shallow water dish for relaxing in and a nice hammock so she can bask by her light. One of her favorite snacks is strawberries, however she will take most any food from your hand and is very gentle when feeding.






No comments:

Post a Comment