Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Ari & Texas

Ahh... the first real (as in somewhat accumulating) snow of the year! You know what that means? Christmas is coming!!! The animals are all excited too. Luke and I will be making a trip down to Illinois on December 19 to go to an expo where we will buy all sorts of nummy presents for all the good little herps (reptiles and amphibians for those of you not used to the terminology). I'm sure we will bring some baby mice back, meal worms, and if we happen to get low on crickets by then (which I seriously doubt, Luke just ordered 3000 for us to split) we will bring that back as well. And if they are really good, we will dig them up some nice juicy roaches and earthworms too. Don't you wish that's what you got in YOUR stocking?!!? ha.

Now I'd like to introduce you to the two reasons I started this blog, Ari (F) and Texas (M) the Leopard Lizards. Apparently, these types of lizards are slightly rare within the pet industry and Luke and I happened to come across them at one of the shows the Herp Society that we are officers of, attends regularly. Leopard Lizards are very fun to keep but are meant for more experience herp keepers. They are to be kept in a similar set up to that of a collared lizard. They enjoy basking in the sunlight and as a result require the special bulb that emits the correct lighting spectrum. They also like it very warm and are native to the American Southwest and parts of Mexico. Currently, I am feeding mine gut-loaded crickets that I lightly dust with a little calcium and a special kind of roach. When they are bigger I've read that they will enjoy pinky-mice and even other lizards! These guys love to job around in their cage and are capable of very fast running speeds so a longer tank with minimal decorations is encouraged. Currently, Ari and Texas have a body length of about 2-3 inches with another 4 inch tail or so, giving them an approximate length of 7 inches. they are fairly tiny yet in size, their heads being about as big around as a dime. They enjoy basking together a lot and I often see them either sitting on top of each other or right next to each other under the heat light. What I really enjoy about these two is that they don't seem to mind being held as much as other lizards do.



Luke and I brought these guys home on November 14 of this year and are they doing well so far. Hopefully they will be around for a long time and see many more updates!

2 comments:

  1. What a cool looking lizard. You will have to keep us informed on how they do, their behavior, and their care requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definetly will, their cage is next to my laptop at home so I spend quite a bit of time watching them. Their behavior is kind of neat. They usually are sitting for extended periods of time (appearing to be sleeping) and then suddenly they will wake up and dart around quickly and jump all over the place.

    ReplyDelete